Saturday, May 5, 2018

Spotlight Die Cutting/Stamping Technique with Craftin Desert Divas!

Hello friends and welcome back!! I'm here to share a super fun and easy technique that really takes your cards up a notch!  The spotlight technique has been around for a long time, with many variations. Today, we're focusing on the clean, simple and quick variation! Plus, you can get two cards done at once..bonus!!!

I highly recommend using some sort of stamp positioning tool for this. Whether it be the Misti, which is what I used or a Stamp-a-ma-Jig. This requires multiple stamping in the exact place.  However, if you are confident in looking through your clear block and lining things up, go for it!!


I started by die cutting two pieces of white cardstock with the smaller of the scalloped rectangle dies from the Fancy Frames Die Set. One piece was 110lb cardstock (which I use for card bases) and the other was the cardstock I use for Copic colouring.

I placed the heavy weight cardstock into my Misti as well as the beautiful, large sentiment from the new Hello Beautiful stamp set. I stamped this twice with Versafine Onyx Black ink to get a really bold impression. Important, do not remove the stamp! It needs to stay in the exact same place!!


Out of the lighter weight cardstock, I die cut a heart from the Mini Shaker Clips Die set from the middle.


Before stamping I coloured the heart in with a few shades of pink Copic markers.


I apologize as I lost the photo that shows the next step :(.  I simply inked up the stamp again, and because the stamp is in the same place on the Misti door it will be in the EXACT place as the first panel!  


By removing the coloured, and now stamped heart and placing it over top of the first stamped panel, the sentiment on both pieces line up and create a "spotlighted" section!!  I used foam adhesive to adhere the heart to give some dimension and make it pop a little more!


For embellishments, I used those cute little heart dies that are also a part of the Mini Shaker Clips set and coloured them with the same markers as the large heart.


I also hand drew a border around the edge of the cardbase because I have a hard time with "white space", haha!


You can see the wonderful, subtle dimension you get by popping up the centre heart!!

Now let's have a look at the second card!  I still had the panel that the heart was cut from and I still had the stamp in the Misti.


I die cut a piece of pink cardstock with the same die and placed it in the corner of the Misti. I inked and stamped the sentiment.


I wasn't too concerned with getting a crisp image on the outer portions of the stamp as I knew they would be covered.  All that had to be done next, was to adhere the white stamped panel with the heart cut from the centre over top of this pink one! Again, I used foam adhesive for dimension.


The sentiments line up perfectly and give a very different look from the first card!  I didn't do any hand drawn border on this card but used the same tiny heart dies for embellishments.


A bit of Glossy Accents on the hearts complete this card.  So easy and quick!!


Here's a look at both cards together. Which one do you like better??


I hope you get a chance to try this technique, it has always been one of my favourites!!  

Thank you so much for stopping by today!!

Here's a list of all CDD Products used in my projects today:






























2 comments:

  1. Fabulous ways to make
    these cards. I love
    The first card, but
    both are lovely.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fabulous technique, but you are right, I would need to use a stamping tool - my eyesight isn't great and my hand isn't the steadiness either. It's a great sentiment too xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

Featured Post

Patterned Paper and Coloured Cardstock

Hey friends and welcome! I wanted to share a fun shaped card with you using dies from Pretty Pink Posh and Scrapbook.com ! I've been a l...